Over 10 million acupuncture treatments are administered annually in the United States. At Axon Health Associates, we believe every patient is exceptional and deserves the highest quality care. We take time to know your symptoms by identifying their root cause and pattern to ensure all our patients attain mental and physical well-being. Our compassionate and board-certified acupuncturists provide personalized care to relieve various medical and psychological conditions such as chronic pain, depression, anxiety, hormonal imbalances, and other physical ailments. Our affordable treatments are given in a serene environment with comfortable chairs and a relaxing environment.
What Is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a form of complementary therapy involving the insertion of hair-thin needles placed at strategic points in the body, such as the legs, hands, arms, face, feet, and head. The sterilized needles stimulate sensory nerves in the muscles and skin.
Acupuncture originated around 35,000 years ago and is a component of ancient Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) used to balance energy flow (Qi). There are 361 acupuncture sites in the body, known as receptor fields, where stimulation affects the activity of multiple sensory nerves. The effects of acupuncture on the body involve stimulating the central nervous system to release chemicals into the spinal cord, muscles, and brain to boost the body’s natural healing abilities.
Conditions Acupuncture Treats
Acupuncture treats various conditions and can be combined with other complementary therapies to manage conditions such as:
- Lower back pain
- Dental pain
- Joint pain (knee, wrist, ankle, and shoulder pain)
- Neck pain
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Irritable bowels syndrome (IBS)
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Tennis elbow
- Stress (anxiety, insomnia, and depression)
- Pregnancy complications and labor pain
- Eye disorders such as acute conjuvictis
- Nausea from anesthesia and chemotherapy
- Infertility issues
- Respiratory disorders such as asthma or acute bronchitis
- Neurological and musculoskeletal disorders such as facial palsy
- Hormonal issues (Premenstrual syndrome and menopause symptoms)
- Allergies or respiratory issues
Acupuncture is a safe and effective complementary therapy and should be performed by a licensed and certified acupuncturist. Acupuncture benefits include:
- Relaxes shortened muscles to release pressure on nerves and joints
- Reduces the intensity and perception of chronic pain
- Stimulates organ function and releases blocked areas
- Stimulates the body’s built-in healing mechanisms
- It can be combined with other treatments
- Promotes and improves blood circulation throughout the body
- Releases the body’s natural painkillers by interrupting pain signals
- Promotes healing by restoring homeostasis and balance
- Reduces stress and anxiety in the body
- Targets numerous health benefits simultaneously
- Low risk of side effects
- It is affordable
- Reduces inflammation
- Balances body chemistry
Not everyone is suitable for acupuncture treatments. Before your treatment, you need to have undergone a diagnosis with your doctor and acupuncturists and discuss your expectations and any health or other circumstances that may prevent you from acupuncture treatments. It is essential to have someone drive you home after your acupuncture treatment.
It is essential to inform the acupuncturists if:
- You are pregnant since the treatment can stimulate labor, resulting in premature delivery.
- Patients who have uncontrolled movements, such as epilepsy or seizure disorder
- Have bleeding disorders such as hemophilia or are taking blood thinners
- You have a pacemaker since acupuncture may interfere with it
- You have an unclear or unknown diagnosis
- You have strong reactions to acupuncture
- You have a genuine fear of needles
- Patients with an abnormal physical structure
- You have a drug or alcohol intoxication
- If you have sensitive skin, infections, or skin disorders
What to Expect During Treatment
Before beginning, your acupuncturist may closely examine the body parts in pain, the strength of your pulse, tongue, and facial color.
You may also be asked to give information about your lifestyle and behaviors. This enables the chiropractor to determine the type of treatment suitable for your needs. Every acupuncturist has their own techniques or styles that blend with the western or eastern medicinal approaches.
You may be asked to remove any clothing depending on the treatment areas. During the procedure, you will be asked to sit or lie down and insert one or more sterile, thin needles on various points in your body. Upon needle insertion, you may feel a brief stinging or tingling sensation and an aching, dull sensation at the base of the needle.
The needles may be gently moved (manipulation), heated, and left in place for 10 to 60 minutes, depending on the treatment area. You may feel energized and relaxed after the treatment.
The number of sessions required depends on the severity and condition being addressed. Generally, it may take 8 to 12 sessions for a health issue to improve.
Acupuncture has been proven to provide numerous benefits for the body, mind, and spirit. If you are interested in acupuncture treatments, contact Axon Health Associates today.