Over a million chiropractic adjustments are performed daily in the United States. If you are looking for alternative treatment for pain management, chiropractic care may be just what you need. At Axon Health Associates, we offer chiropractic care for pain relief using various techniques from our certified physicians.
What Is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is therapeutic manipulation to align the body’s joints, particularly the spine, using hands or other instruments to apply sudden force to allow the body to self-heal. Chiropractic treatment (also known as spinal manipulation) is a form of complementary medicine that improves spinal motion and body function.
The spinal manipulations help realign the joints for pain relief. The procedure offers alternative pain relief for:
- Connective tissue (ligaments, cartilage, and tendons)
It should only be done by a trained specialist (chiropractor). A chiropractor is a physician who cares for muscle, bone, and joint pain. A chiropractor offers alternative treatment methods that don’t involve prescribing medicine. Chiropractors work with doctors, pain experts, and surgeons to help patients manage their conditions.
What are The Treatments Managed by Chiropractors?
Chiropractic care treats conditions affecting the nervous system and musculoskeletal systems. The treatments may be combined with physical therapy, significantly benefiting the treatment areas. Physical therapy rehabilitates the injured areas through exercises and stretches. Chiropractic adjustment treats the following conditions:
- Neck pain
- Frequent headaches
- Lower back pain
- Healing after an accident or whiplash
- Stiff muscles or muscle aches
- Joint pain and dysfunction
- Sports injuries
- Automobile injuries
- Repetitive strains
What Services Are Offered by A Chiropractor?
A Chiropractor restores joint mobility in restricted tissues caused by traumatic events like falling. A chiropractor may offer the following treatments:
- Soft-tissue therapy relieves spasms, relaxes tight muscles, and releases tension in the connective tissues surrounding every muscle.
- Refers patients to integrative medicine experts such as nutritionists.
- Joint bracing/taping helps to support sprained joints or muscles during the healing process.
- Muscle relaxation and stress management techniques.
- Instructs patients how to exercise and stretch to restore and maintain joint mobility and stability.
A chiropractor adjusts the treatment areas to gently realign joints to minimize pain and increase joint range of motion using various techniques such as:
- Pulling or stretching your muscles in different directions
- Spinal manipulation using their hands to apply force to the muscles, bones and joints of the spine and neck
- Short, sharp thrusting movements in the treatment areas
- Gradually moving your joints into different positions and directions
Chiropractors diagnose and treat issues affecting body movement without medication or surgery and help prevent them from recurring. Chiropractic care alleviates pain, promotes good health, and improves your quality of life.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care
Engaging the services of a chiropractor can provide numerous health benefits such as:
- Helps improve athletic performance by relieving pain and inflammation sustained from sports injuries.
- Offers chronic pain relief for lower back, neck, shoulder, and headaches.
- Sciatica pain relief (pain occurs when the sciatic nerve is under pressure).
- Eases osteoarthritis symptoms.
- Minimizes dependency on opioid pain medications.
- Chiropractic care is a more affordable treatment for chronic back pain.
- Helps improve the digestive system by relieving acid reflux, gas, and heartburn.
- Relieves stress on the spine from poor posture during pregnancy.
- Significantly improves immunity by relieving anxiety, stress, and other body parts.
- Lowers high blood pressure by realigning the atlas vertebrae.
- Reduces adult scoliosis symptoms
- Improves sleeping disorders
- Promotes relaxation by relieving body anxiety, stress, and tension in the body.
- Plays a significant role in caring for epileptic patients
- Treats neck and spinal injuries
- Reduces infant colic symptoms
- Improves vertigo symptoms
- Relieves arthritis symptoms, especially osteoarthritis-related back or neck pain.
What to Expect During Your Visit
During your first consultation, your chiropractor will ask you questions regarding your health history and perform a physical examination, particularly paying attention to your spine. Additional tests may be recommended, such as a neurological examination, X-rays, and MRI if necessary.
During the procedure, your chiropractor will place you in different positions to work on the treatment areas. Typically, you will be positioned face-down on a padded chiropractic table then the chiropractor will use his or small instruments to apply quick, controlled force to a joint. You may hear popping or crackling sounds caused by trapped gases being released from your joints. The gases are similar to when you crack your knuckles.
After the procedure, you might feel some mild soreness or minor aches on the treated areas, which go away within 24 hours, especially if it was your first time going to the chiropractor. Minor side effects may also be felt, such as fatigue, headaches, or pain in the treated areas for a few days.
It is essential to note that not everyone responds to chiropractic adjustments depending on their situation. If symptoms do not improve after several sessions, the treatment may not be ideal for you.
If you are interested in chiropractic care, request an appointment with Axon Health Associates for chiropractic manipulation. Our licensed, trained, and experienced chiropractors are glad to help relieve your pain. For more information, contact us today.